Fried Cheesy Patties/Menchi Katsu

Fried Cheesy Patties/Menchi Katsu



        Menchi Katsu is a Japanese dish mainly made with ground beef or ground pork, but usually a combination of both, with minced onions, bread crumbs, and egg. Other recipes include spices like nutmeg and etc. 

        I got interested with creating a recipe like this because I saw a post on Facebook and it really got my attention because it had cheese in it. So, I just thought "Alright, let me try and make some".

        This recipe I created is very simple because I wanted it to be basic so anyone can make it on their own. Although there was a point in the process that kind of gave me a difficult time, which was the breading, I still managed to make these cheesy patties the way I thought they'd turn out to be. So if you are pro in breading, then this one's pretty basic to you. The reason why the process in breading was hard for me because I was not able to let the mixture set in the fridge for the right amount of time. I had a family to feed who couldn't wait any longer.

        I used ground pork, but you can definitely use ground beef if you like or a combination of both. If you want a lighter dish, you can experiment on using ground chicken. Although I have never tried it before, I think it would still suit. I mean, why not.

        Anyhow, this recipe is easy and so good at the same time. The ingredients are not hard to find. 

        Here is the Recipe

        500g Ground pork
        1/2 White Onion
        2 tbsps Bread crumbs
        1/2 tbsp Milk
        1 Egg
        1/2 tsp Salt
        1/2 tsp Ground black pepper
        Cheese Eden/ Mozzarella cheese (or whatever cheese you have as long as it melts)

        For Coating the patties:
        1/2 cup All-purpose flour
        2 Eggs
        1 1/2 cup Bread crumbs

        Procedure
  1. Prepare all the ingredients.
  2. In a bowl combine all the ingredients for the patty mixture.
  3. Mix well until the mixture turns into paste.
  4. Divide the mixture using a 1/4 measuring cup or whichever size you like then form them into like a round shaped patty. 
  5. Press the middle of the patty and add the cheese then cover by shaping them again.
  6. Place the patties on a sheet pan, or whatever plate you have, then place it in the fridge for about 30-60 minutes. I placed mine in the freezer so that it can set faster.
  7. After letting it set in the fridge, start breading by doing the standard breading procedure. That is by coating the patty first with flour, then the egg, then the bread crumbs. 
  8. After breading, fry the patties on moderate heat about 6-7 minutes on each side. 
  9. Placed the fried patties on a clean paper towel to remove excess oil.
  10. Serve with your favorite condiments like ketchup, kewpie, or a tonkatsu sauce.
         

Comments

Popular Posts