Moist Banana Bread

 

Moist Banana Bread




    My grandmother was most famous for her super moist banana bread. Although, I couldn’t recall eating her delicious banana bread, I know for sure that it was perfect.


It’s a shame my grandma never got to share her recipe with me. My parents love banana bread and they requested me to bake this one time. The first time I baked banana bread, my mom said it was delicious, but it was not as perfect as how my grandmother made them. I became addicted to the idea that I need to recreate my grandmother’s recipe. After a lot of research and trial and errors, I’ve finally been able to match my grandmother’s recipe. Although it is not exactly the same, since I never found her recipe book (if she ever had one though), my mom said that it tastes just like my grandmother’s banana bread and whenever she eats it, it reminds her of her younger days. 



How to make banana bread super moist?


Using OIL instead of Butter. Most recipes require using real butter. My mother told me that my grandma used oil instead of butter. Butter definitely contributes to flavor but oil helps the banana bread, or any other cake, to stay moist tender far longer. 


Using Buttermilk. I know it is unusual to use buttermilk in banana bread, but since I use oil instead of butter, the buttermilk will contribute to its richness in flavor, the softness, and  the tenderness of this bread. Plus, it helps in the rise of this bread. 



What makes this banana bread flavorful?


This banana bread is unique because it includes the rich flavor of cinnamon and the not so common ingredient, instant coffee powder or espresso powder. You can use both or just use either one. I decided to add coffee powder in my banana bread because I like that mocha banana effect it has. I also got the idea of adding cinnamon powder from Gemma Stafford’s Famous Banana Bread recipe and since I love cinnamon I thought “Why not?”




I also like to use brown sugar instead of white sugar because white sugar tends to be sweeter. Also, the molasses in brown sugar gives this cake a nice brown color and flavor. If you don’t have brown sugar, you can substitute it with the same amount of white sugar. 







Moist Banana Bread


Prep time: 30 minutes 

Cook time: 60 minutes

Total time: 1 hour and 30 minutes




*You can use only half of this recipe for a smaller size


Ingredients:

  • 2 ½ cups all purpose flour

  • 1 ½ tsp baking soda

  • ½ tsp salt

  • 1 2/3 cup packed brown sugar

  • 1 cup vegetable oil

  • 2 eggs

  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon

  • 1 tsp instant coffee powder or espresso powder (optional)

  • 2 tsp vanilla extract

  • 6 medium sized bananas (about 1 1/2 cups)

  • 1/2 cup buttermilk (1/2 cup milk + 1/2 tbsp white vinegar or lemon juice)



Instructions:


  1. Start by preparing all the ingredients first. Prepare the dry ingredients by sifting the flour and baking powder together. Then, sprinkle in the salt.

  2. Make sure to prepare your loaf pan by brushing it with oil then dusting it with flour. This is to prevent the banana bread from sticking to the pan.

  3. Preheat the oven to 350F or 180C. Cream the oil and sugar together. Then, add the eggs and mix until fully incorporated. Add the vanilla extract, cinnamon, and instant coffee powder or espresso powder then mix until fully incorporated.

  4. Add the mashed banana and mix gently. 

  5. After mixing in the mashed banana, add half of the dry mixture and add the milk. Fold the mixture gently. 

  6. Finally, add the remaining dry mixture and fold in gently until there are no more lumps of flour. Do not over mix this batter. 

  7. Pour the batter to your prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle some chocolate chips or whatever you prefer on top. 

  8. Bake the banana bread for 60 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. If you want it super moist, don’t let this bread bake for too long. If it comes out almost clean, take this out of the oven and let it cool completely. It’s okay, the banana bread will still be hot and it will continue to cook. The banana bread will cook with the just right amount of time.

Comments

Popular Posts